The 80's Can Still Have Luxury

If you ever had the luxury of living in the 80's, you've probably seen... or had, a lovely geometric chandelier, in brass, with tinted, beveled glass.  I know I did.  Just when I thought that natural selection had taken care of all of the aforementioned lighting fixtures... The previous owner of my house had so generously preserved the last of the 80's dynasty.  This chandelier owes it's life to an issue of "House Beautiful" magazine. 
 
 Just as it was headed to the local donation center, I happened across a spread in the magazine that showed a living room with a beautiful fixture in wrought iron, with... the same shape, just no beveled glass; this one was $1300.  I promptly pardoned the chandelier from death row with the hope of re-purposing it in my dining room.  I broke the tinted glass out of the frame.  When I was through with that therapeutic process, I taped off the sockets and sprayed the whole thing in a satin finish, fiery orange.  In order to fit the fixture in my dining room I had to add a length of cord and chain.  Once the fixture was installed, I wrapped a natural burlap ribbon around the cord to hide the mismatched cord and chain, from the extension process.  To remedy the issue of 8 blaring light bulbs, blue burlap ribbon was affixed in a band around the chandelier, creating a shade. 

 Total project time:...  about 3 hours. 
 Total cost.:.. free ninety nine!!! Well, I spent $15 on paint, hardware, ribbon and light bulbs (the light bulb were the most expensive part).

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Well done, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Love the whole look! Your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys!
    Who knew that when the 80's came back in style it would be in more ways than aviator sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete